At this time of year with a New Year approaching, we all tend to get a little reflective about our lives. I do sit down and write my goals for the next year, both personal and professional, which some might determine to be a bucket list. It’s like a road map, a blueprint to keep me on track. It keeps me focused. I highly encourage each of you to do this exercise – it only takes a few moments and can be enlightening.
Having a bucket list reminds me what’s really important in my life. I don’t think of it as a list to do before I die – more like an annual plan. I cross things off as I achieve them. At the end of the year if I have not accomplished the items on my bucket list, I re-evaluate how they should be positioned on the next year’s list.
In the top five of most people’s bucket list is to start your own business, try a new profession or turn your passion into a career. This is where I am extremely lucky, because as President and Co-Founder of FirstLight Home Care, I love what I do and so do each of our business owners. If you are not passionate about what you do, maybe it’s time to look for a new business opportunity. I know the economy is tough in many industries, but certain industries – such as senior home care – are booming. This article is not about franchise opportunities, but I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that with a proven, experienced, prosperous franchise you get the best of both worlds – the ability to be your own boss with the solid backing of a reputable organization behind you.
Here’s some other questions which may help you develop your own bucket list:
1. What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
2. Where would you like to visit?
3. What are some goals and dreams you haven’t achieved?
4. What’s missing from your life and how do you fill that void?
5. What is something you can do for others –selfless on your part?
6. What FUN do you have planned for yourself – and with your spouse or children ?
7. If death were imminent, what would you regret?
8. Are there any activities you have never done that you would like to try?
9. How do you feel each day and how would you like to feel?
10. Are there any special moments you want to be present for?
Whether you are young or old, a game plan is a good thing to have. Have fun with developing a bucket list and don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t achieve all your items. It will be 2014 before you know it!